Friday 12 July 2013

A 4-Year Old's Lesson in Equality

Today I was watching Emily & Lily, two girls I regularly babysit. As soon as I stepped in, Emily (4) had already brought out her Toy Story toys and wanted to play with them. Both of us share a love of Toy Story so I was more than happy to oblige and play this "game" with her.
As we were playing though she was telling me of her time playing with a few other kids. Turns out that one of the boys said to her that girls are weak and stupid. That boys are much stronger and smarter than girls. The more I listened to her telling me about her unfortunate interaction with this boy I wanted to grab her by the shoulders and tell her that no matter what anyone says to her, she is still smart, strong, and capable of pretty much anything a boy is capable of doing.

I didn't say that to her. Instead I kept on playing when a little idea came to me. I proposed a scenario to her. Zorg the evil Emperor of the Galaxy had kidnapped Woody and Buzz and was threatening to destroy the universe. Everyone's only hope? Jessie!

As Jessie was chasing Zorg on Bullseye, Emily's eyes lit up and she really got into this scenario. At last Jessie confronted Zorg and defeated him, thereby rescuing Woody and Buzz. Emily threw her hands up in the air and shouted "Jessie did it! She defeated Zorg!" I laughed but pulled her closer. I looked her in the eyes and said "No. WE did it. Us girls did it!" "Girls?" "Yup. Girls can rescue boys too because they're just as strong and just as smart. See?"

She was incredibly happy to hear this. I told her that if anyone ever tries to tell her that girls are inferior to boys (of course I simplified it) that she should just tell them that girls are capable of just as much strength, intelligence, bravery, and courage.
We finished the day by watching Brave. A fitting movie, if I do say so myself. :)

Remember that we live in a world where Woodies and Buzzes can rescue Jessies but Jessies can just as much rescue Woodies and Buzzes. :)

1 comment:

  1. Proud of you Jess :) I am glad that you have this chance to be a good influence on a little girl who will just get so many shitty lies dumped on her throughout her life - maybe this is one way she is being prepared for everything that lies ahead.
    Love you! :)

    ReplyDelete