Friday 30 August 2013

Blurred Lines Are in the Eyes of the Beholder

And those eyes need to be checked out.

I didn't even know who Robin Thicke was until the VMA's happened. Things got trashy fast and the internet was abuzz with talk about his Blurred Lines song. Apparently there is an unrated version of this song on youtube. As soon as I know that there is an "unrated" version available of a song I won't even bother checking it out. Instead I looked up the lyrics and felt nauseated by the time I read through them.

The purpose of a line is to separate things. When you're on the highway and there's a solid line in the middle it means you're not supposed to cross it. What happens when you do? You will most likely crash into someone on the other side. Worst case scenario: a casualty. Now, I don't know anyone who will drive on the road, see the line in the middle sort of blurry and go "Hm I wonder if I can cross it. It is blurry after all. Maybe they really meant "cross it" instead of "stay on your side". The point is: A blurred line is still a line.

Does Robin Thicke understand this? Does everyone else? What this song and this whole idea of blurred lines promotes is rape culture. You know, when you're not really sure whether or not they want to sleep with you. He/she may be saying 'no' but what they really mean is 'yes'. Let me create this scenario for you:

I go up to you and ask if I can punch you in the face. You say 'no'. Then I go: "C'mon, you really mean yes, right? How can you mean 'no'? This is such a blurred line!" And then I proceed to punch you in the face. You know what would most likely happen afterwards? You'll complain that I punched you in the face. But people will ask you what you were wearing. They'll ask you what you were doing to provoke me to punch you in the face. They'll ask you how much you've had to drink. Maybe the alcohol impaired you to say 'no' when you really meant 'yes'.

For those visual learners, here is a simple flowchart to help you navigate:



See that? Clear lines. Nothing blurry about them.
So can you do me a favour? If you see blurred lines anywhere, get your eyes checked out before you proceed. Because I think you'll prefer an eye examination to a very unpleasant rectal exam I'll give you when I hear that you've crossed a line. That goes for both genders.

No comments:

Post a Comment