Saturday 10 May 2014

We'll be just fine.

This is about the third blog post I have started today because the other two just didn't seem good enough. They both talked about different subjects but if I write something and feel, even in the slightest, that this doesn't need to be said right now, I'll start over again.

At this very moment I am listening to a new obsession of mine: Sleeping At Last. This particular song is entitled 'West' and he says:

we'll be just fine
we'll be just fine
it's a matter of time
'til our compass stands still,
'til our compass stands still

It reminds me to take every day for what it's worth, which is: a lot. Why? Because every morning that I wake up and hit snooze on my phone, I am reminded that I am breathing. I am reminded that this could very well be my last day on earth so who cares where I'm going to be tomorrow? I have a responsibility to my God to live in such a way that would honour him but I do not have control over this world. This might cause a lot of stress and anxiety in some but it does the exact opposite for me.

In this truth I find peace.
In this truth I find comfort.
In this truth I find hope.

I think that we (and by "we" I am identifying myself as a young adult) we are so pressured into thinking that we have to have our lives figured out. We have to have a career plan, a savings plan, and a schedule that already looks at the year ahead. What if we could let go of all that? What if we realized that no one else actually has life figured out? Because with each milestone we accomplish, we are not, in fact, closer to figuring out this silly thing called life. We just took one step deeper into this mess. We are so focused on our own feet in the mud though that we forget to look around, really look around, and see that everyone else is stuck in this mess as well. Just because they are further ahead, doesn't mean they're less in the dirt.

Instead of focusing so much on trying to figure out what to do with tomorrow, make sure you don't waste today. I have seen people who always chase the next big milestone be it a job, a relationship, a promotion, a house, or a family and they don't cherish the milestones they have already accomplished.

Remember: we'll be just fine. It's just a matter of time 'til our compass stands still.

and sometimes our compass breaks
and our steady true north fades
we'll be just fine

1 comment: