Monday 17 November 2014

Give Me My Daily Bread and My Daily Death

"God is great, so we don't have to be in control. God is glorious, so we don't have to fear others. God is good so we don't have to look elsewhere. God is gracious, so we don't have to prove ourselves."

The four absolutes still ring with truth, as clear as I first heard them. When I sat in church yesterday and listened to the message, I begged God to show me what it means to clearly live them out. I want to be completely transparent and note that I have been struggling heavily with disbelief lately. There are moments and days when God either doesn't seem real or an idea too good to be true. What are the chances that there is a good God who created this earth and freely gave up his son to atone for our sins so that we would have the hope of spending eternity in his glory? It just seemed like too optimistic of a plan. What did people mean when they said I don't even have to do anything except to rely on his grace to pull me into freedom? How could I possibly be sure of my salvation if this entire philosophy relied on faith and faith alone? My soul became restless, filled with fear of the unknown. Conveniently, I spent the last few months listening to Village Church's Great Debate series, where we explored different philosophies and worldviews. It gave me some intellectual insurance by walking through these views and philosophically taking them apart and seeing why they couldn't possibly be the truth. 

Disbelief causes fear of the unknown. I am in a stage of life where nothing is predictable. Of course, no matter what stage of life you are in, it is never predictable, however I am feeling this even more so with finishing up my college degree and finding a place to live. As I listened to the attributes of God being explained yesterday morning I wanted God to truly show his face to me by helping me live these views out. I knew that, at that moment, I challenged God. When you ask God to show you something or to help you overcome a certain area of your life, do not take it lightly. Be prepared for him to wreck you completely so that, in the end, you have nothing left to rely on but him. 

Yesterday morning I was under the impression that a certain area of my life had worked out for sure and was secured. I was excited and couldn't wait for that time to begin. When I asked God to show me what it means to trust him, I had no idea what he would do. I came home to a missed call and a voicemail on my phone. Listening to the message made my heart drop because in that second, just like that, my plan fell to pieces. Something that I was so sure of simply vanished into thin air, leaving me to decide what my attitude was going to be towards it. Was I going to get bitter and complain? Or would I pick up my heart and hand all of my expectations to God instead of keeping them inside my own hands? I decided that fear wasn't worth the feeling of control over my own life. I would rather put my faith in the one who holds this world and everything in it. 

Strangely, that situation and my changed attitude towards it erased much of my held disbelief in God's sovereignty and his existence in general. It seemed like I had the thing I wanted, it was taken away, and my faith was strengthened. This is grace. This is love. And this is the faith that I cling to. I want to die to my own desires, my own control, and my own need to fix things every single day. When Jesus teaches us to pray, he says to ask God to give us our daily bread. Not our weekly bread. Not our monthly bread. Not our yearly bread. Our faith relies on a day-to-day system where we deny ourselves each day and also trust God to provide for us that very day. 


1 comment:

  1. So true! We have so many things in our lives that can act as a safety net. In the end, they are flawed, an illusion of security. When this is revealed it's almost a relief. Finally, we have no option but to fling ourselves into the warm embrace of grace. Love your reminders of who we are, where we are and most importantly who loves us!!!

    ReplyDelete