Monday 27 May 2013

Why making a difference is a big thing that isn't actually a big thing.

Confused? Let me elaborate.

Last night I laid in bed trying to find those darn sheep in my mind so I could start counting them. As they were, apparently, nowhere to be found, I was left alone with my thoughts. Dangerous, I know.

I started thinking of what I'm doing with my life and how I had this constant need to do something big. Something HUGE. Because, c'mon. Who doesn't want to do something grand with their life? Then I thought of all the world-changing men and women I knew and an all-too familiar, green monster crept up on me. Jealousy. Ugh. Why do they have to be so famous and popular and well-liked? Look at them. Travelling the world. Changing lives. Being awesome. 
What am I doing? I'm a college student on summer break, desperately trying to find full-time employment, just figured out how to make a grilled cheese sandwich (true story), and though I've been on my own feet for the last 4 years I'm still trying to figure out how to do this life thing. So you must understand my frustration when I look at those famous and popular people who are making a world of difference and who seem to have it all figured out. 

After wallowing in my own pity for a while I tried this positive thinking all these therapists are talking about. (Would highly recommend. Use responsibly.) I mean, if I'm going to be a therapist in the future, I might as well get a feel of what I'll be prescribing my future clients, right? Right. 

So here we go. What if ... You do not have to be famous or popular to leave behind a legacy that will change the world because as long as one person is impacted by you, the world has already been changed. So stop thinking you're not able to because of your status. After that one person, you move on to the next and so forth. 

I don't have to have- Sorry, WE don't have to have all the resources and all the popularity. 

Most of us are not going to be changing entire countries and nations. 

You know where we need to start? Our own hearts. Dive deep into scripture and ask God to change your heart from the inside out. God will use you to impact your surroundings in a mighty way. Don't be disappointed if He "only" gives you one person to impact at a time. This alone is awesome! Can you imagine? Because of how God worked through you, this person's life will be changed. 

In the end it's not about us and not even about the people being impacted. It's about the glory God receives through all this. That's the important thing. 


Be a heart-changer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment